Friday, April 10, 2009

Albuquerque weather

I just want to expand on the weather theme. It's interesting that very little of importance happens in Albuquerque weather wise, but the local news places great importance in the weather, sometimes issuing updates between news casts. Realistically Albuquerque residents need a weather update once per quarter. In fact, I'll give you all you need to know right now:




June - August: Very hot, with periods of insanely hot.

September - November: Perfect temperature to enjoy the balloon fiesta.

December - February: Pleasantly chilly with a possible dusting of snow.

March - May: Windy!




Action movies often involve a hero being chased down by a dust storm of apocalyptic size, which blots out the sun and makes people run for their lives. I couldn't connect with such scenes until I lived one:





This is the middle of the afternoon, and the picture accurately picks up how dark it was. The wind was blowing the sand hard enough to make me worry for my car's finish and make it impossible to walk around.






********* UPDATE **************




Although everything Jesse said in this post is generally true, the funny thing is the very next day we received plenty of weather. We were so unprepared for it that Jesse left his shoes and the charcoal for barbecuing out on the patio. When he asked me if he should bring it in, I said "what's going to happen -- it's not going to rain or anything." But it did. Hard. We had our first real rain (by real I mean not a sprinkle that lasts a few minutes). Everything was soaked! More amazing still, however, was the fact that this rain turned into hail that afternoon. While the hail did not last very long and wasn't very big, it was certainly weird and unexpected. I guess the only way to get real weather in Albuquerque is to complain that it is always sunny and warm!


1 comment:

  1. Albuquerque weather, is so unpredicatable. I've lived here all my life, it's crazy! Like this past week it started off so nice than it snowed!

    ReplyDelete